Work Structure + Benefits
This is an unpaid internship, but we are happy to work with you to get class credit. Hours are negotiable based on your school credit needs and availability. Additional value added as this will be a true mentorship opportunity to learn and hone a skill set.
Also, as an intern, you will have a free annual membership to Rowan Tree (valued at $2400). That means you will have in-person access to a brilliant group of (mostly) women who are established as professionals in the DC/NoVA area and knowledgeable across a tremendous variety of careers. You will also work alongside the cofounders and experience the ins and outs of launching a small business. This is a fantastic opportunity for an emerging professional! In addition, you will also get to participate in our onsite yoga, wellness, and professional and creative growth activities.
Remote work is possible, but we do ask that the student is available for some part-time onsite work to receive the most value from the mentorship and community.
To Apply: Please see directions under each position for specific application requirements.
AVAILABLE INTERNSHIPS – Summer 2019, Fall Semester 2019, and Spring 2020
• Communications & Member Engagement Intern
• Business Management and Operations Intern
• Graphic Design Intern
• Events Management Intern
- Events + Community Management Intern
- Communications & Member Engagement Intern
- Business Management and Operations Intern
- Graphic Design Intern
We are looking for an intern to help us with our events and community management.
Our programming, or Rowgramming, as we call it, helps our members work, connect, be well, and create. We provide fun and useful events with a twist that provide tangible, real-life tips and actions to not only improve our members’ businesses, but their lives. We need someone to help us plan, coordinate, and run these meaningful events. Another element of this position includes helping make sure our members feel welcome and have what they need when they are in the community.
Candidate Requirements: You are studying something related to hospitality and/or event management. You have proven experience of coordinating multiple tasks and providing warm, top-notch customer experiences. You have a track record of showing initiative and getting things done. You are passionate about helping women be their best selves and reach their full potential. You are flexible, positive, can take direction but also bring ideas to the table.
What You Will Be Doing
Primary responsibility is to assist planning, coordinating, and supporting events, which includes but is not limited to:
- Plan the event calendar bi-weekly
- Review/maintain speaker applications
- Set up Eventbrite invitations and make sure they are also posted on the website/Facebook
- Send out reminder emails
- Support the event (when possible/needed)
- Collect and input surveys and email data and provide analysis and recommendations
- Secondary responsibility includes serving as Community Manager:
- Occasional opening and closing activities
- Serving as member Point-of-Contact and troubleshooting issues
- Managing and fielding member requests and input
To Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Internship Application” in the Subject Line. In your cover letter, please demonstrate your attention to detail and examples of coordination, organization, and customer service.
One of our greatest strengths is our warm, authentic relationships we’ve built in the community. We’ve done that by using our humor, creativity, and experience to develop a voice that represents who we are and what we offer our members.
We are looking for an intern to help us broaden our voice and reach through communications, outreach, and membership engagement. What does that mean?
Your tasks include but aren’t limited to:
- Create template for standard bi-weekly newsletter and help write content
- Write 2-3 blogs month
- Create weekly “Rowgramming” posts for members
- Use Social Report to create, schedule and publish 4-8 social media posts weekly
- Coordinate with graphic designers as needed
- Review Website content
- Conduct light editing
- Support coordination of a video development
- Work with Community + Event Manager to develop and publish promotional write-ups
- Other TBD – Media relations (media advisories, releases)
Have other ideas? Share them. Evaluate what is going well or not so well and make recommendations for course corrections.
Candidate Requirements: You are studying something related to communications. You have proven experience of great writing and working successfully with a team. You have a track record of showing initiative and getting things done. You can show us some examples of your writing. You like and are comfortable with Social Media and can help manage Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Even better, you know how to create engaging posts and can help us schedule our social media outreach using Social Report. (It’s okay if you don’t know how to use the tool yet – you can learn.) You are passionate about helping women be their best selves and reach their full potential. You are flexible, positive, can take direction but also bring ideas to the table.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, and 2 writing samples to email@example.com with “Internship Application” in the Subject Line. Writing samples should include a social media writing sample such as a blog, newsletter article, or series of promotional posts. Because our style is polished, yet fun and casual, we require savvy writers who can speak in our voice.
We are looking for an intern to help us operationalize our systems and processes so that we have a solid, clean-cut business infrastructure that is scalable as we grow and expand Rowan Tree. What does that mean?
Some of the tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Creating a system for checking and updating inventory
- Document management
- Process improvement
- Event rentals
- Sequencing communications emails
- Updating and consolidating SoPs
- Help us find solutions to share information securely, do research, and provide input as we make critical decisions around our IT, office supplies, and other office-related items.
Help us manage our vendor list. If you are interested in business administration, you will have tons of opportunities to learn and grow – as well as share with us some new tools and tricks of the business management trade.
Candidate Requirements: You are studying something related to business, management, and operations. You have proven experience of conducting research, making recommendations, and running with those recommendations. You have a track record of showing initiative and getting things done. You can show us some examples of your writing. You can deal with spreadsheets, you are detail-oriented, and think thoroughly through challenges to come up with solutions. You are not afraid of IT and researching optimal solutions for business needs. You are passionate about helping women be their best selves and reach their full potential. You are flexible, positive, can take direction but also bring ideas to the table.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Internship Application” in the Subject Line. Writing samples may include a short report, presentation, or business-focused product. If possible, please demonstrate in your resume and/or cover letter example(s) of when you’ve seen a work or school related challenge, and created and implemented a solution.
We are looking for graphic design intern to support our visual communication needs as we continue to grow a thriving coworking business. We want to foster an environment of creativity and warmth and provide real-life business experience that you can lean back on in years to come.
Amy Dagliano, one of the cofounders of Rowan Tree is a seasoned graphic designer with 15+ years of experience in the industry. She can help guide and mentor the design student while also giving them freedom and flexibility to cultivate their skill set and ideas.
What You Will Be Doing
Primary responsibility is to assist in designing marketing projects that are reflective of the Rowan Tree brand. Including but not limited to:
- social media marketing collateral
- upcoming events flyers and advertisements
- internal design marketing needs
- email templates
- signage needs
- Secondary responsibility includes occasional WordPress website support (web experience is not required but is a definite bonus)
- Organize assets on creative team’s file sharing platform to optimize production for all teams
- Development of Rowan Tree style guide
What You Need for this Position
- Ability to work a minimum of 6-8 hours per week; more hours available if required for internship credit
- Pursuing degree in Graphic Design or Visual Communications required; at least one year of course work completed is ideal
- Working knowledge and skills in Adobe Creative Cloud including InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Strong skills in page design, layout, and typography
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Ability to accept constructive criticism
- Savvy, conceptual thinker with exceptional attention to detail
Additional Added Bonus Skills (Not required):
- Photography or illustration skills
- Basic video editing knowledge in Adobe AfterEffects or other comparable program
- Working HTML and CSS knowledge
- General understanding of marketing and communications concepts
- Microsoft Office skills
- Mac laptop with Creative Suite installed and active
To Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, and design sample PDF or online portfolio link to email@example.com with “Internship Application” in the Subject Line.
Warning: The account for workrowan needs to be reconnected.
Due to Instagram platform changes on March 2, 2020, this Instagram account needs to be reconnected to allow the feed to continue updating. Reconnect on plugin Settings page